What's worse than a sick pet? Three of them! Viruses and parasitic infections can quickly spread among your pets, making them feel miserable. Taking these preemptive steps when one of your furry f ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
At Dessau Vet Clinic, our North Austin vet is committed to providing the services your pet needs throughout various stages of life. In addition to routine appointments during our normal business hours throughout the week, we're also available for urgent case issues and some emergencies during these hours.
We hope your pet will never be in a situation where he or she needs emergency care, but we think it's so important for pet owners to be educated on some of the most common types of pet health emergencies, including accidental ingestion of poisons and toxins.
Unfortunately, our veterinary team sees many cases of accidental poison and toxin ingestion on a regular basis. Often times, pets will get into things such as rat/mouse bait or insecticide, though certain houseplants can also be toxic to pets. For example, did you know that many kinds of lilies are poisonous to cats, and ingesting even a small amount of pollen from this plant can be fatal?
Other common toxins and poisons we often see pets for include:
The best way to protect your pet from accidental poisoning is to be aware of the common types of toxins (listed above) and to keep them out of your household and out of your pet's reach altogether. Furthermore, it's important to be aware of some of the common signs that your pet may have ingested something toxic, such as:
Sometimes, there may also be evidence when your pet ingests something toxic. For example, for a pet that has eaten a dangerous amount of chocolate, you may find wrappers or empty packaging on the ground. Unfortunately, it's not always obvious when a pet has ingested something dangerous, so pet owners need to be vigilant and know how to spot these common signs before it's too late.
If your pet is showing any signs of poisoning during our office hours, we encourage you to call us right away and let us know that you'll be bringing your pet in to see our North Austin veterinary team. This will give us time to make sure we have a vet ready to see your pet as soon as possible once you arrive. If you have any packaging or other labeling for the toxin that was ingested, please bring them with you as well.
Give us a call at (512) 339-3177 with any additional and non-urgent questions you may have about pet poisoning!